Solutions to 5 Common Summer Hair Problems
| By Kendall Douglas |
Who doesn’t love summer? It’s the time of the year for countless beach days, tanlines, and everlasting memories with friends. However, as much as we love the season of sunshine, our hair tends to face the consequences. Here are some solutions to five common hair problems that we all face during the summertime.
1. H A I R F R I Z Z & H U M I D I T Y
Has your hair ever turned frizzy the second you walk outside after a blowout? This is due to humidity, and unfortunately, summer and humidity tend to go hand in hand. Chemical hair treatments make the hair more susceptible to becoming frizzy, so try to keep your hair as moisturized as possible during those humid summer days.
Recommendations: Brazilian Blowout Anti Frizz Shampoo Conditioner Duo with Masque
Brazilian Blowout is a professional smoothing treatment using bonding technologies. These customizable smoothing treatments actually improve the condition of the hair by creating a protective protein layer around the hair shaft to eliminate frizz and smooth the cuticle. The end result is smooth, frizz-free hair with radiant shine! A Brazilian Blowout only takes about 80 minutes and lasts for 12 weeks. (Brazilian Blowout Professional Service , $275- $350)
2. G R E E N H A I R
Most blondes in particular can relate to this issue that results from extensive time spent in the pool. Pools contain the metal copper, which when oxidized, can turn hair green. Rinse your hair before and after pool time to give your hair a better chance of staying true to color, and be sure to moisturize it to prevent it from drying out from the chemicals.
Recommendations: Swimmers Wellness Collection ($59)
Swimmers Wellness Collection naturally eliminates elements (chlorine, bromine, copper, calcium, lime or salts) that can make swimmers’ hair look and feel damaged.
- Draw out buildup caused by exposure to pool, spa and ocean water with a crystallized antioxidant natural wellness treatment
- Lift out green discoloration by removing copper buildup (it’s not chlorine)
- Remove chlorine odor
- Nourish, strengthen and protect while preventing further damage
- Strengthen hair from the inside out for body and bounce
- Protect and preserve shine and hair color with a kit specifically designed for swimmers containing a daily wellness shampoo (free of sodium thiosulfate and other harsh ingredients common to many other swimmers’ shampoos) and conditioner, plus weekly natural treatments, for incredible lasting results
3. B U R N T S C A L P
Our scalp isn’t something we usually think about while laying out in the sun to get some color, but the pain we feel at the end of the day once the bristles of a hairbrush meet the sunburn on our heads is surely undeniable. Next time you plan on being out in the sun without a hat, be sure to apply a product containing SPF beforehand in order to protect your scalp from those strong UV rays.
- Stay away from heat. This may seem seem obvious but your scalp is extremely sensitive and using extra heat such as blowdryers could cause more damage.
- If your scalp begins to peel, gently scrub your head with a clarifying shampoo, such as, Unite's The Weekender ($22). Do not mistake the peeling for dandruff as a shampoo for dandruff will irritate your already fragile scalp.
Keep your head protected with a hat and a UV protectant. We love the Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Oil. It's a multi-use hair oil that moisturizes and protects hair with intense nutrition. Camellia Oil absorbs rapidly, deep into the hair's cortex, leaving it soft and silky with high shine. This velvety hair oil rebalances the hair's moisture level and provides all-day UV protection without weighing down even the finest of hair. Formulated for daily use. Safe on color-treated hair.
- Use a deep conditioner such as Kerastase Chronologiste Créme Chronologiste. It's an intensely nourishing balm for the scalp. This product also revitalizes your scalp and infuses your hair with nutrition and shine, deeply nourishing the hair and scalp, and delivering total hair revitalization.
4. S A L T Y H A I R
After getting out of the ocean, it’s hard to avoid the dried up, tangly feeling our hair gets when it starts to dry. The salt of the sea sucks the moisture out of our hair’s natural water content levels, creating a sense of dryness to our strands and more difficulty in detangling our hair. To avoid hair damage caused by the salt, look for a leave-in conditioner that will prevent your hair from becoming dehydrated.
Recommendations: 7 Seconds Detangler ($28) & Shu Uemura Ultimate Remedy Extreme Restoration Conditioner ($58)
- Put your hair in a quick braid before swimming in the ocean.
- After you get out of the water spray, Unite's 7 seconds Detangler into your locks and gently brush your hair with Shu Uemura's paddle brush ($78 , http://www.shuuemuraartofhair-usa.com/).
- Use a deep restoration conditioner. We love Shu Uemura's Ultimate Remedy Extreme Restoration Conditioner. Conditioner for damaged, dried out hair that deeply moisturizes without leaving the hair weighed down. Infused with lipids and ceramides, hair breakage is prevented with each hair fiber strengthened and protected against the loss of hair proteins. The hair is left with exceptional shine, tone and body.
5. F A D I N G H A I R C O L O R
Sun exposure can often result in your hair changing in color. People who have gotten their hair colored in a salon are more susceptible to having this occur, but even people who have left their hair in its natural state have a chance of experiencing some color change. The UV rays from the sun cause our strands to fade out, and so does the saltiness of the air if you live closer to the beach. Certain products can help protect your hair from shifting to an alternative color. Often times, people have had to go back to a stylist to get their hair toned, but we recommend using products that aim to maintain the color of your hair shade.
Colour Fanatic, a first of its kind multi-tasking hair treatment spray that provides 21 essential benefits to prime, protect, and perfect colour-treated hair. Combining the exclusive Anti-Fade Complex with Fennel Seed extract and a natural blend of camelina, coconut and olive oil, this leave-in hair treatment protects and strengthens for longer-lasting, perfect-looking colour every day.
Davines SU MILK ($15)
SU Milk protects hair from sun exposure and enhanced with UVA and UVB filters, conditioning while protecting all hair types. In addition to keeping the hair soft and hydrated.